Jail Birds

If you’ve ever gardened you know the various challenges you face. It’s a gamble really. Some things just don’t sprout, some things fall to disease from bugs or get eaten by them. And of course, there are voles, squirrels, deer, bunnies, birds, etc.

Some weird bug:


Some weird bug crawling up a blade of grass:
With the birds, it’s easy to blame the crows for everything because they’re always hanging around. They squawk and squeak to each other because they’re watching your every move. They know when/where you’re planting. They’re smart and crafty even though when I’m frustrated I call them stupid birds. One of them dug up one of our newly planted squash seeds and ate the inside of it. Just left the evidence lying around for us to discover. Nice. These guys need to be locked up.
Well, how about this little guy? Isn’t he sweet and cute? Just an innocent robin right? Wrong! This guy is on my Most Wanted List. I actually caught him in my neighbor’s strawberry patch pecking away at a berry then has the noive (nerve) to run thru our garden and stop at our strawberry patch to eat a berry! In front of me. He’s looking at me. Does he think I don’t see him? Or is he just taunting me? Neener neener! You can’t catch me! Grr. I don’t even know how many strawberries we lost to robins. I agree those strawberries were tasty but I was hoping they’d be all for us and that we’d harvest a lot but so many were gnawed on by the robins and slugs. Thanks guys! Just help yourself! The thing is they don’t finish them off. They just leave this nice looking berry with a gaping hole in it. And of course, when they come back they find the other good ones; they don’t finish off the ones they started. A robin also helped himself to our one lonely tomato. Could’ve at least finished it instead of wasting a lot of it. Stupid bird.

Before robin:
After robin:
It’s so hard to be mad at the bunnies. They really are so stinkin cute! Even the mature ones. I haven’t caught one in either of our gardens – I’m sure they’ve hopped by but I don’t think they’ve done anything to our gardens. I mean some of the rabbit faves like lettuce, untouched. They could’ve snacked on some of our earlier seedlings that seem to have gone POOF! But these guys I always end up forgiving. I get so excited when I see bunnies and like to take lots of pictures of them so here you go:

How cute is this? The bunny is cleaning himself before dinner.

WARNING! Nudity! ha ha! Just bunny buns. So cute!

Now, hummingbirds are NOT jailbirds. They are wonderful to see whether in flight or hanging out. I love watching them chase each other. We’ll be working on putting up a couple of hummingbird feeders soon. They are amazing.

How about them eagles? Again, not a jailbird. They’re not interested in our raw veggie garden that’s for sure. But anyway, we saw a bald eagle fly overhead. I tried taking a picture but he wouldn’t stop and say cheese!

I have more garden updates to do so I hope to get around to that this week. Maybe I’ll make it Garden Week.

And to update you guys on the Pico situation, we still don’t have him but we are going to check with the pound this week in hopes of adopting him. Pray for Pico!

Comments

Leora said…
Did you see the New York Times article on Who Killed Peter Rabbit...about sweet, everyday gardeners gone wild because of the animals that eat their garden produce, even when they put up high fences?

Great essay with good pics. I enjoyed this. (We are competing with a ground hog for garden food; is he the one eating my marigolds?).
There must be a way to put up a cage around and over your strawberries. Or better yet, a dog. A yippy dog that barks at every visitor in your garden. Granted I really don't like yippy dogs myself, but maybe a guard dog would be the ticket for yours?
(now I am thinking out loud) But then he would get bored, because you are 20 miles from your garden and he may just start digging in that garden. YIKES!
I have no solution. My husband's grandpa used to plant several extra for the birds but one would think that would just attract more not keep them in their section. The robins eat our mulberries and even leave few for us, but they don't touch the strawberries, so maybe a mulberry tree?
good luck

~a
Carol said…
Great photos. Thanks for bringing a smile to my face. I wish you luck going forward all these critters will find something better to do. LOL
Carrie Nicole said…
Wonderful update and lots of great photos!! I adore bunnies, we have some feral ones that live in the business park where I work, they're always out munching on the grass right outside the front door.

Being my rescuer self, I started contacting rescues that work with bunnies to see if there were any Trap Neuter Release programs for rabbits here and I found that there is a rescue that works with a vet in bothell to do spay/neuters. I haven't yet tried to trap any, for the most part, the population seems to be pretty stable around here but keeping a close eye.

I have been doing quite a bit of TNR in my neighborhood with feral cats, so far, no new kittens this year! I have two more tomcats to get, they're all beat up because they fight so much so hopefully neutering will help.

Ok, holy tangent....sorry!

I'm happy to hear that you guys will be trying to find and adopt Pico! Good luck with that, let me know if there's anything I can do to help. Maybe call the vet to ask which rescue they work with so you can try to track him that way (if you hadn't already thought of that).

xoxoxo
Michelle said…
My friend, i will pray for Pico!! I'm good at praying and GOD dude usually does the right thing for good people like us! In the meantime, nice post and photos, sorry about your strawberries though!
Sarah said…
Heidi! :-o I didn't know your blog was R-rated! Hahaha :) Those are some mighty cute bunny pics. And the first pic, I think is a caterpillar. Thank you for sharing your little critters with us!
Kathy said…
Hey Rosie, thanks for stopping by.... guess I've been on a bit of a "vacation" lately! Still here, slowly trying to get back on the bandwagon!!! Love the post... how have your allergies been this year?
Kathy said…
Thanks Rosie!!!! :0)
Oh, the bunnies are cute!
My mom and dad always have a garden. The racoons were getting their corn all the time when they were w/o a dog. So my dad "borrowed" the neighbor's dog and tied him in the corn patch for a few nights when he knew the corn would be ripening. The racoons know the EXACT moment of perfect ripeness and will descend on the whole patch in salivating fury! I think the dog worked, because he borrowed it a few more times until they got one of their own again.
I'm not condoning the tieing up of a dog anywhere, but my dad is old-school and a dog just another (sometimes useful) critter to him.
Good luck on your harvest. Love all the pics!
XO
Pixy Lisa
Isle Dance said…
Awwwwwwwwwww...lucky you! Sweet babies!
Isle Dance said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
With all the activity in your garden and everyone snackin' down, is there gonna be anything left for you and hubby?? Your posts always make me smile, and sometimes LOL. Thanks! More cute bunny pics, Nice!
Anonymous said…
You know it's a wonderful garden if you have wildlife eating there, as well as the humans tending it! I loved all of the pictures! Thanks for sharing!

Lots of love to you,

Wendi
XOXOXO
RisibleGirl said…
Bunny buns- you're funny sis. We have a bunny too, and I'm super glad that I put cages around my freshly planted passion flower vines. That's where he/she likes to hang out. He/she looks very much like your bunny. I wonder if they're related. (uh-huh)

Popular posts from this blog

WEGO Health: Superpower!

Guest Blog Post

The "Glow"