Raw Fu Challenge Update - First 10 Days

The first 10 days of the 100 day Raw Fu challenge has been a success for me. I managed to lose five whole pounds. Yippee! And I was relatively all raw except I did have a couple spoonfuls of organic peanut butter and if you have read Yardsnacker's recent post he rats on me, er, I mean he merely mentions that I had some cooked food brought down by a neighbor (he included a pic of my leftovers). If you haven't read it, go ahead and then come back here and read the rest of my post. Hurry.

Okay, so our neighbor knows we eat "healthy" but doesn't know the full extent of it so when he offered us this meal he wasn't sure if Sam would eat it because it had some fish cake in it (I wasn't sure I'd eat it either - fish cake sounds wrong). He and his family are so nice and generous that I had to accept the meal (they're always giving Sam stuff, I'm a lucky recipient by default - guess they like him better then me. boo hoo!). It was a rice cake dish (they're noodle shaped, kinda spongey-like and are very sticky on the teeth) with a spicy sauce and some fish cake, which to me was like fish-flavored tofu, and of course the green onions we gave him. Cool!

I'm not familiar with Korean food but thought this was pretty good. Very different. I wasn't sure what I expected it to taste like but it was surprisingly tasty. Not something I would have often though. I didn't really dig the fish cake but the rice cake thingeys were kinda fun. And it could've been spicier! I guess they toned it down a bit knowing they were going to give us some and didn't want to have to call an ambulance.

Maybe it wasn't necessary to share all that but doesn't your life feel enriched now that you know something about Korean rice cakes? hee hee!

If you caught Sam's theory in his post you'll understand why I ate it. So while I wasn't all raw all the time I don't feel an ounce of guilt over eating something that was given to us in thanks.


I'm not even going to discuss my exercise challenge. That sentence alone should tell ya.

Last night I made the sunflower seed cheese Bunny Berry featured in one of her videos.



Here's the recipe from the video:

Sunflower Seed Cheese
1 cup sunflower seeds
3 cloves garlic
Juice of half a lemon
Salt to taste

My notes: I used a whole lemon but it was small and a pinch of celery salt. Also, I soaked the seeds for an hour but I'm sure you're supposed to soak longer. I'm too lazy to look that up. It might also make a difference to let this chill for awhile (mine was overnight) before eating. It was good as I was making this but was way better the next day. JMO.

Mmm mmm good! I had this for my lunch today with some zucchini crackers and it was so good. I also had it on romaine leaves. No matter how you consume this it's going to be good...unless it was on ice cream then maybe not so much. :D

Comments

Michelle said…
Heidi, i have to ask...does the sunflower cheese hmmm taste like some sort of cheese? I may try it, it seems rather easy to make!

You go girl, your doing so amazing i am proud of you!!! I am happy to know you!!!

WORD!
sarabethxvx said…
5lbs? Thats awesome!!!
I am jealous, haven't lost for quite a while. I think it's all the nuts and ice cream ;)
Had a great dinner tonight, zucchini pasta with marinara sauce and a meaty stuffing type stuff aimee posted on her blog. I wanted to make lasagna but had no cheese, so when I saw our post I went... I should make THAT cheese!!!
I will do half pine nuts so it tastes more italian :)
~I made the sunflower cheese. Two things, no three. Too much lemon for my taste, I think I need a better blender, my poor Oster just didn't want to make it smooth like the video, and my sunflower seeds had sat in the cupboard too long [I usually freeze them, but forgot to with this packge :(], so we ended up throwing it out, but all in all, I think next time it will be better, this time, notsomuch.
~doing better with exercise, but not perfect.
~wtg with 5 lbs! Me? not even ONE OUNCE lost. :( boo

~feeling a bit discouraged. But I am so proud of you!

~a
bitt said…
seed cheese rules! I made some today too. i put onions in it. yummy.

congrats on the 5 lbs! nice job!
Anonymous said…
Yay!! Sounds fun, five lbs is pretty cool! I make a variation on that sunflower cheese. It makes a great filling for wraps:)
Lauren said…
Congrats on the weight loss! I am glad the challenge is going so well for you!
Leora said…
I was going to warn you that if you trekked on over to my blog, you were gonna find lots of "cooked" recipes, but you got there before the warning!

Sunflower spread (I have a hard time calling this cheese, but then, I haven't tried it yet) sound worth a try. Sort of like a cross between humus and a nut spread.
Anonymous said…
Five pounds in ten days is good going. Just make sure you're still getting protein and calcium from other sources :)
Anonymous said…
Well done Heidi, that's fabulous!

I made the sunflower seed cheese as well and prefer to think of it as some kind of hummus. Whatever you call it though I do think it's delicious :-)
Katie said…
Good luck with your challenge! It sounds like fun. I know what you mean about food as a gift, I have experienced similar things before and I always feel OK knowing that the food (if not made with love) was presented with love.

Great blog!
Hey Rosie
Don't worry the yardsnacker ratted you out. I would have eaten the lovely food gift as well. I still haven't decided about my challenge yet. Too much vacation and travelling. I will settle on something soon.
XO
Pixy Lisa
Isle Dance said…
Good for you! I'm so proud of you! No worries on the exercise - I'm still working on the potty mouth. LOL! :o)
Colleen Miller said…
Isn't it great to have nice neighbors you can share things with? We have been blessed with some great neighbors too. It's so interesting learning about other peoples cultures that are from a different part of the world.
Congrats on your raw food adventure so far. It sounds like Bunny Berry is really motivating so many people in such a positive way. I've go to try that sunflower cheese. Now, what about the zucchini crackers? Those sound great!
ALF said…
Congrats on the eating success! I have no self control and just keep getting fatter.
BeeARawFoodie said…
Congrats -- apparently all that grubbing and mucking about in the Garden has its rewards. The body knows how to take care of it self. Continue to be amazing, and yes, you will continue to be amazed!

Side thought, can we really call something made from nuts a cheese? That's brilliant. I think I'm going to rename my Aduki beans to something else.
And are Zuchinni crackers just slices of zuchinni? I am lovin' all this Raw Nomenclature. You rock.
RisibleGirl said…
I'm late to the party- but GO SIS!

I still want to see your write-up of how you're getting in your protein and calcium. **hugs**

I'm testing out soy milk and almond milk in my sugar free ice cream. The jury is still out- I need to so some more recipe testing. I had no idea that soy and almond milk had MUCH lower carbs than dairy milk. I couldn't drink it straight (yuck), but I can see using it as a substitute in other stuff.
RisibleGirl said…
OH PS- go bonk Sam on the head for ratting you out. Then, next time I see him- I'll bonk him on the head too. xoxo
Sarah said…
Good to hear you're doing well, Chicka!

Growing up we used to eat something called "fish balls". They were little white-grey balls made up from (I assume) fish parts, thrown in a hot soup.

Kinda like the same concept as chicken nuggets. :D

I sorta liked them during my early years but the older I got, the grosser the concept was to me. LOL!
Anonymous said…
Congrats on the 5 pounds! I agree completely with you about food gifts. I would have eaten it and accept the blessing the neighbor intended to bestow. :)

~Connie
Colleen Miller said…
Hey there,
I am soaking sunflower seeds to make the cheese tonight. I still need to check out that zucchini link you sent me for the recipe for chips.
Hey, I know it's kind of off the topic, but I was wondering if you guys have ever been to the lavender farms in Sequim? I bet you would LOVE them. I've been dying to go out there, but now that we live in Florida the chances of me getting all the way across the country to see them with two kids are kind of slim at the moment.
One day though....
Carol said…
Fantastic job Hiho!!

Congrats on the five pounds and more importantly not beating yourself up for the non raw food. The journey needs to be fun not filled with guilt and should haves.

Funny on Sam snitching on you. ;)

I have to say the fish cakes sound horrid. I'm sure it's the word cake (yummmmmm) combined with fish (ickkkk). LOL

Popular posts from this blog

WEGO Health: Superpower!

Guest Blog Post