Conquering

I have conquered three days so far on the 100-day raw food challenge! WEEE! Not that it was terribly hard for me as there have been many days in the past, consecutive even, where I've been all raw without trying. Now the key is to be sure I'm consistent while on the challenge. It's definitely easier having a spouse who's raw so there's not much in way of temptation lying around. Although, maybe for him since he's juice feasting. :)

Ah, but speaking of temptation we did go to the farmer's market yesterday and I was really tempted by the smells of kettle corn. It was ever.y.where. Instead I sampled donut peaches (told hubby how delicious they were) and picked up some organic beets for hubby's juicing.

So far my meals have been very simple. I think if I were to go all gourmet or something well, that just might be cruel to Sam! He's told me not to worry about it. Anyway, one of my favorite things to eat is a huge bowlful of fresh papaya and banana topped with shredded coconut or young coconut. It's been a meal of mine twice in two days.

As one of my snacks I've been chowing down on these days is Just Like Ritz crackers, found on Heathy's blog. Below is the recipe with her notes (original recipe can be found here).

Just Like Ritz Zucchini Crackers
2 1/2 cups walnuts
2 1/2 cups cubed zucchini, peeled
1/2 cup ground golden flax
1/4 cup hemp seed (sometimes I use part sesame and part hemp)
2 tsp sea salt

In a food processor, grind walnuts into small bits. Transfer to bowl.
Grind zucchini down to small bits - do NOT process into a puree, keep texture. Add to walnuts.
Stir in the remaining ingredients, adding a bit of water, if needed for spreading. Evenly spread on a teflex, score and dehydrate until crisp, flipping after a few hours.

My notes: I used a combination of zucchini and yellow squash. I had run out of hem
p seeds so I used all sesame seeds in its place. These don't taste just like Ritz IMO but they do taste very buttery, which is just like Ritz. They can be quite filling; perfect for a salty type snack.

Now here's a bad-timing bummer: our lovely Vita-Mix is in the shop. :( So no green smoothie contest for me! I start thinking about making something then realize I don't have my blender. Ugh! I know I can work around it but sometimes I don't wanna. Today, I did manage to make Ani Phyo's Black Sesame Sunflower bread but had to break out the spice g
rinder to grind the flaxseeds. The blender is so much faster. Hopefully it'll be back soon. Work fast Vita-Mix people! Please! Hear my plea!

Has anyone used chia seeds in place of flaxseeds for anything? I was tempted to add them to the sesame sunflower bread. I might do that the next time just to see.

With regard to my exercise challenge...well...to be honest, I have not been consistent. I managed some sort of exercise 3x this week. Not bad but short of my goal. I'll just try harder this week. I WILL conquer. :)

I have a garden post or two to work on so you might be seeing that/those soon. It's so exciting! Really, I've got some good things to share about it except for the fact I'm suffering from major allergies! I weeded the garden and when I do that I get allergies but it needed to be done.

Hope each of you are finding success on your own personal journeys. Just remember to be kind to yourself if not every goal is met.

Comments

what a lovely update. You are inspiring.
Good luck on your quest as well. I have slacked off on the running, sometimes life gets in the way of goals and plans. But I finished a wedding dress, attended a wedding far away and helped my daughter move. . .those days I didn't exercise. I guess tomorrow I must face the music and get back in there, eh?
your papya dish looks heavenly.

~a
Leora said…
Glad to hear you are doing well. Look forward to a gardening post. I'm waiting for my tomatoes to turn red.
Lauren said…
Mmm everything looks yummy! I am glad you are doing well on your challenge. I LOVE donut peaches! Way better then Kettle Corn, right? ;)
Anonymous said…
I'm impressed - but piece of advice: I wouldn't stray too far from the bathroom for the first week if I were you :D
Anonymous said…
Congrats on doing well with your challenge, so far!! Yay for passing up the kettle corn!!

That fruit salad looks YUMMY!!!

Lots of love to you,

Wendi
XOXOXO
sarabethxvx said…
have you ever tried those Cheezit crackers? I saw a recipe on srk and have been wanting to try them...
sarabethxvx said…
I was JUST looking that up. Seriously! I always forget so I flip through the book with the biggest soaking chart each time I use them. IT says 6-8 hours, if you want to sprout them its 2-5 days. I will probably just soak today because I wanted to make more delicious onion bread.
Anonymous said…
I put the Zucchini & Squash through the spiral slicer and put homemade salsa on it with a few mushrooms. It was really good.

Danieal
Anonymous said…
I'm going to have to try those crakers I used to love ritz with peanut butter loaded on them.
Charis said…
Wahooo! Go Heidi! You're amazing!
Carrie Nicole said…
Great job Rosie!! You're doing awesome!

That papaya banana coconut salad is making my mouth water... Oh how I miss the fruit!!! That one thing has made this SO hard for me these first few days... honestly I've barely eaten much and need to kick it up a notch bc my energy is starting to tank.

I went to a move last night instead of prepping food for today so all I have today at work is one serving of Ultimate Meal but we have a cafeteria downstairs where I can at least get a bare bones salad for lunch. Sheesh! For all my pre-planning I sure haven't executed so well! Oh well, TV is officially off except for weekends so I'll be caught up tonight.

Hugs to you!
Isle Dance said…
Fantastic! YUM! Oh, my! What fun and terrific progress. (VM - Get back home! Quick!) I thought I'd be tackling all of my goals at the same time, but apparently #1 is taking all of my energy right now. Who knew?! :o)
RisibleGirl said…
I'm glad that I left exercise for the last 40 days. I know myself well enough that I shouldn't try to add too many things at once. Right now with the spider bite- I couldn't exercise if I wanted to (and I don't want to- so that works out very well!)

xo
Michelle said…
Hey Heidi,
You are doing so great!! I'm not! But, the one thing i have been totally consistent with is my running! I must try papaya! Whole foods tomorrow so i will look there!! :O)

M
badash said…
what is the green smoothie contest all about? I cant see the link because i'd have to log-in, and im not part of the challenge... =(



but ummmmmmmm your food always looks SO GOOD. I've never had papaya... i know, crazy. Should i get one next time i go to the store? They are kinda expensive... hmmmmmm

anyways keep up the good work. I love reading your posts. OH and in reply to your other post, your hubby should TOTALLY win the contest... it was a great pic, lol.
You are doing so great!! Keeping up your positive attitude will go a long way in helping you achieve your goals! Glad you passed up on the kettle corn. I think popcorn always smells so much better than it tastes!

Popular posts from this blog

WEGO Health: Superpower!

Guest Blog Post