Going International

Recently we went to the international market; for WA people: this is a different market from Uwajimaya. While we were there we could hear a guy over the PA going on and on about something. Since we don't speak or understand Korean we had no idea what. As we were leaving Sam asked the cashier about it (joked is he reading a book? She laughed...uh no.); she said he's conducting flash sales, basically going around the store and selecting an item to feature and marking it down to ridiculous prices! She didn't say it like that but it's pretty much what it is. She did tell us that we should find the moms and grandmas when he's doing this as they're the ones usually following him on his crazy sale trail.

We went to the market yesterday and when the sales started we looked around to where the guy with the mic was. Hee hee! He was surrounded by all the smiling and giggling Korean moms and grandmas! No lie. And yay, he was in the produce section
. I joined the crowd and everyone was so nice to me because I'm clearly in the minority here. Is it that obvious I don't understand Korean??

The mic guy told me they were selling (whatever) 8 for $1. I was confused as to what he w
as selling since all I'm seeing are hands and bags flying in every direction. Was it the purple plums? Or the white things? Thankfully someone handed me a bag since they were out of reach and someone else pointed out it was the white plums (at least that's what I think they are) on sale 8/$1. Once you've got your bag o'fruit mic guy uses his sticker gun to slap on the price. Phew! I made it just in time before he moved onto the next item, which was mushroom water. I'll pass thank you.

We followed him around a bit more but since he was out of the produce section our opportunity for more screamin' deals was pretty much over. That's okay, it was fun being part of the chaos. And hey, I got white plums out of the deal. They're really good.

At our garden we talked with a Chinese couple who are growing Japanese sweet potatoes. At least we think. They didn't speak much English but we did clearly hear "Japanese" and "potato" so after googling this we came up with Japanese sweet potato. They start out as ivy-looking vines which they had growing up some sort of pea trellis. It just looked really pretty and it made the woman really happy that we were admiring their garden so she gave us some crazy looking huge radishes. Ah, that's sweet. Since they were so nice to us and always smiling we gave them some romaine. The woman nodded in excitement and said, "I like!"

Take a look at the radish she gave us.

Hee hee...of course, I'm kidding.

Comments

Carol said…
How fun at the market!!!! I'll bet you'll be going back often.

Cute on the radish. Can you imagine?
Now that's a HUGE radish! I love finding deals at the market. There is hardly ever any on produce tho :(
XO
Pixy Lisa
That sounds like such fun! We are lucky if someone comes to our small town. No one raises a truck garden here, so we depend on some kind person from "up north" to have pity on our dry little desert town to come here. One arrives every MWF in the morning with watermelon, cantaloupe, onions and sweet corn. All are set prices and we are thrilled. I guess they will bring fruit in season, peaches, etc. I hope.

some day I am going to come to your state, then I want to see that market. It sounds like fun.
Sarah said…
That was a great deal for the plums. I would love to try a white plum! Isn't it great when neighbors share fresh garden produce? Was it a daikon radish? Those are a favorite of ours.
Anonymous said…
Those potatoes are really nice, although I've only had them cooked.

Mushroom water? Ew...
Connie said…
I was just in an Asian food store yesterday. Went in for some frozen durian but it takes me forever as I wander around and marvel at the items on the shelves. It still wasn't nearly as fun as your visit. I would have been following the grandma's around too! lol!Great deal on the plums! yum!

:) Connie
sarabethxvx said…
chasing the grandmas around the market sounds fun... I am going to the raw store with chris (aimee's husband) tomorrow and we may hit up a store in the id for young coconuts... Maybe we can get some deals too!! I love your garden stories ;)
Anon said…
HAHA! So, i got to the end of your post and saw the little girl with the huge ass radish and i said outloud "WHAT"??? Then i saw kidding of course!

Thanks for making me smile today Heidi!! I needed that!!!
Michelle said…
Sorry Heidi that last comment is from me!

Long story!!

I will tell someday!
RisibleGirl said…
I wonder what you make with mushroom water? In any case, you can count me out too. :)

We FINALLY got two ripe strawberries before the bunnies did. BJ was in heaven.
Sarah said…
OKay I was like...um, since when did they have a kid?!!! LOL! That is one giant radish. :-) Hysterical pic!
Autumn said…
Sounds like fun! Thanks for the reminder, I'm gonna remember to go hit up some Asian stores! Fun
Isle Dance said…
HiHo, you crack me up, as always! Had you not said you were kidding, I'd have believed that radish was yours! :o)
badash said…
WOW! what a great deal!

Reminds me of when I was in chicago this summer --- the grocery i went to every few days constantly had sales liek that--- like 10 kiwis for a dollar, or 10 plums for a dollar.

I love when deals like that happen!
So... I'm curious, since you joined in with the crowd of moms and grandmoms following the sales guy around, which was Yardsnacker, Mom for Grandmom? Be careful, whatever he isn't you are!

Branching out into 'unfarmiliar' foods is fun!

Popular posts from this blog

WEGO Health: Superpower!

Guest Blog Post