Summer Lunch

Our lunch, Cabbage Mustard Garlic salad, recipe courtesy of Leora:

Mine doesn't look as lovely as hers but it was oh so very D-LISH!

The following is Leora's salad recipe:

Ingredients

1 savoy cabbage or napa cabbage
olive oil to coat
brown mustard to coat
2 or 3 crushed garlic cloves
salt, pepper to taste
juice of 1/2 fresh orange or lemon
for color: bits of shredded purple cabbage and/or carrot (optional)

Chop the cabbage into bite size pieces (that’s the most complicated part of this recipe). Add the shredded carrots and/or purple cabbage. Put in a large bowl. Coat the cabbage with olive oil. Then coat it with mustard. Crush in your garlic cloves, and mix. Sprinkle with salt and/or pepper to taste. Squeeze on lemon or orange juice, and mix well.

Tip on shredded carrots: you can use your food processor, or you can peel off little piece of carrot with your carrot peeler.

My notes: I used napa cabbage. I have never used it before or recall ever having it but I really love it. It's mild and soft (I did cut out some of the hard white part [chevron style]) and not cabbage-y tasting. I didn't have any purple cabbage for added color -it does make it look really pretty as evidenced by Leora's photo. However, I did use carrots and green onions. For the brown mustard, I only had organic Dijon mustard, Whole Foods 360 brand. It's good stuff. And for the citrus juice, I used a full valencia orange. Lemon I'm sure is super good.

Hubby LOVED this salad! He was sad to learn we had no leftovers. Guess I'm off to the store to buy more napa cabbage for us.

Thanks Leora!

Comments

Isle Dance said…
Oh YUM!!! ('cept I'd have to leave out the garlic. LOL.)
Anonymous said…
Fabulous! Gotta check out why Isle Dance would leave out the garlic ... I LOVE garlic :-)
Leora said…
Thanks so much for the recipe link! I forgot to say in my post that my neighbor gave me the recipe (verbally, with no amounts). When she served it to us, she left out the garlic, because she thought it might be "offensive". Little did she know that my husband and I love garlic. She may have used some sugar, so I found an orange sweetened it up without the refined sugar. She also used only cabbage, no other colors. She told me she uses whatever cabbage is available.

I love napa cabbage, precisely because it is soft enough to eat raw without a lot of chewing.
Anonymous said…
Napa Cabage is so versatile and tasty! That looks like a great summer salad:) I will def try that:)
Isle Dance said…
I LOVE you guys!!! Now I know napa cabbage is what was used in these: http://isledance.blogspot.com/2008/06/vegan-tofu-wrap.html

As for raw garlic, my tummy has always reacted sensitively to it. Any tips to avoid this?

:o)
Michelle said…
WooHoo!!! I am very hungry now looking at all your creations!! I must try this! I will try this, this week for sure!!! Thanks Heidi for sharing!
Michelle
RisibleGirl said…
That looks delish! One of my favorite 'treats' is sauted cabbage and onions with hot chili garlic sauce.

This sounds just as good. I think I'll try it!
Anonymous said…
Oh, I really shouldn't be looking at raw food blogs before going to sleep. I'm getting hungry!!

That looks AWESOME!!

Lots of love to you,

Wendi
XOXOXO

Popular posts from this blog

WEGO Health: Superpower!

Guest Blog Post