In the Green

You asked now I answer. An indepth review of those green bags I had previously mentioned.

  • What are those green bags?
  • How do they work?
  • How long do they work?
  • Where to get them?
Green bags are great for storing all of your fresh produce to make them last longer. I had heard about them but first tried them when I was a customer of an organic delivery service and since it was the first place I knew of that had them I gave them a whirl.

One of the great things about these bags is they are reusable. I forgot to explain that to hubby in the beginning so some were mistakenly thrown away after one use. Whoopsie.

Using these bags you'll be saving your produce while saving money on disposable ziploc bags (if you use them), although, we're starting to reuse some of those too. No sense in wasting them each time if you can help it. Saving = yay! But the produce bags really work at keeping the various fruits and veggies fresh longer.

How? Well, according to legend they are made with Oya, a natural mineral form of zeolite that absorbs and removes damaging gases (i.e. ethylene gas) which are released from fruits and veggies after harvesting. Okay, I'll take your word for it, Ms. Debbie Meyer.

They last for multiple uses. I haven't determined how many times for me personally but the box says 10x. I just use them until they seem pretty hammered.

I have learned from personal experience that with some produce the bags are quite ineffective. For instance, strawberries and tomatoes. I believe that both of these fruits are better without the green bags and should just be cleaned as you need them.

What they are great for are apples, peppers, cucumbers and GREENS, lots o'greens. Green bags for clean greens, including romaine. When I come home from grocery shopping, I try to do all of the washing and prepping at once, especially the greens and then store them in the bags just to make things easier during the week.

To find these, of course, they can be found online...what can't be found online?! As I mentioned above I first got these from my local organic delivery service so if you utilize a delivery service check out their product list for these. I have since found these at my local Rite-Aid; a box of 20 (10 small bags and 10 large bags) costs about $10.

I totally sounded like an informercial huh? TV here I come! ha ha! Actually, I just like the bags. :>

Comments

Isle Dance said…
Thank you so much for this info! Love it! You are so funny! :o) I try to avoid plastic (due to its off-gassing of synthetic chemicals) but it sounds like these bags don't smell like plastic?
HiHoRosie said…
I haven't found that they smell like plastic but I'm not sensitive to many smells right now as I've been battling allergies. Yay! But maybe they're not as bad as other plastic bags due to the oya - ONLY A GUESS.
Rebekah said…
I am trying them out at the mo.. I have 13 lettuces..and 2kg mini cucumbers..so lets hope they work!! Will have to check through all the produce tommorow..

psst..yeah I eat the pineapple core too..but this pulls out all the flesh without any wastage..the core usually goes in the freezer..then pop it into smoothies :)
Michelle said…
Great info! Thanks Heidi!

Thanks for your prayers too! They so worked my friend!!
Michelle
RisibleGirl said…
I'm definitely going to give those a whirl. I wonder if they make them in people size. There is a guy on my train that could use that sort of thing. He never seems very fresh.
Lauren said…
I bought these after I joined a co-op group and some suggested these to make my produce last 2 weeks until the next box. I love them! I have had cabbage from 2 weeks ago and it looks just like it did on day one! Yay for GREEN BAGS!
Rebekah said…
my greens seem awesome.. however..my cucumbers are dripping wet..WHATT.. had to take them out..dry them and put them in fresh bags!! I will cry if they get mould.. im just too sick to have anything right now..I need the bags to do their job!!
Sarah said…
Okay delete this if it shows up twice - blogger was messing up on me, but thanks for a great informative & entertaining post on something I've been wondering about for awhile. Reading about how a few of them got thrown away at first, made me cringe though! ack! :) I'd be sooooo annoyed at my hubby if he did that. Although he does pay for the stuff I buy, so never mind. LOL
Carol said…
Thanks for the info. I've always wondered if these really worked!!

Popular posts from this blog

WEGO Health: Superpower!

Guest Blog Post