Poetry Friday

Be the Best of Whatever You Are


If you can't be a pine on the top of a hill
Be a scrub in the valley--but be
The best little scrub by the side of the rill;
Be a bush if you can't be a tree.

If you can't be a bush be a bit of the grass,
And some highway happier make;
If you can't be a muskie then just be a bass--
But the liveliest bass in the lake!

We can't all be captains, we've got to be crew,
There's something for all of us here.
There's big work to do and there's lesser work too,
And the task we must do is the near.

If you can't be a highway then just be a trail,
If you can't be the sun be a star;
For it isn't by size that you win or you fail--
Be the best of whatever you are!

-by Douglas Malloch

Comments

Isle Dance said…
Sweet inspiration!
Michelle said…
Heidi, this really hit home with me today!! Be the best of whoever you are??? YES!!! Thanks my friend!!
M
Lauren said…
What a nice thing to read on a Saturday morning! I am inspired! :)
Sarah said…
I love it! Thank you. I often feel like the little bush struggling to be the tall pine. I need to let that go!
RisibleGirl said…
I really like that! Too bad I can't incorporate that into my line of thinking. This perfectionist side of me is killer.

Maybe I'll print this off so I can read it often so it will sink in.

Hey, look at me! I'm your top commenter! Wooo hooooooo

Popular posts from this blog

WEGO Health: Superpower!

Guest Blog Post