Pizza Pizza Pizza Pie…

When speaking of traditional pizza, oh how I miss it from time to time but not the greasy/heavy feeling afterwards because let’s face it, I have no self-control when it comes to pizza. I can’t just eat one slice and call it good.


We’ve had several raw versions of pizza at various restaurants (
Blossoming Lotus, Chaco Canyon and Dalene’s) and they’ve all been different and all delicious. Going to a restaurant and treating yourself is always nice but not economical so it’s not something we do too often. That’s where knowing how to make it yourself comes in handy.

If you google raw pizza crust you will find a plethora of recipes so I have yet to try most of them but started out with
one that I thought was easiest and I had most of the ingredients on hand. I did tweak it based on what I had and personal tastes. For the fresh herbs I used dried and omitted rosemary since I didn’t have any; just increased the other herbs to make up for it. I also added a pinch or two of salt. I didn’t want this to be too flavorful (if that makes sense) to compete with all the toppings we had planned but I think this recipe serves as a good base that can be tweaked to your liking. I would make this again but would also like to try some others.

For the toppings, hubby made a “mozzarella” cheese, which we agreed was good on the pizza combined with the other stuff but by itself it was odd tasting so we’ll be trying something different next time. After the cheese, we layered on
marinara sauce. Again, there are many recipes out there so I just picked one. I’m sure we tweaked this one too to suit our tastes. I think with us it’s just a given we’ll tweak whatever recipe we’re following but then who doesn’t?! Hubby made fresh basil pesto, one of his specialties. He blends fresh basil leaves, fresh garlic, raw pine nuts, good olive oil (usually organic, cold-pressed), and salt. I think that’s it. With all these rich ingredients the parmesan cheese, traditionally found in pesto, is not missed. Then we added fresh chopped kalamata olives, sweet onions, tomatoes, “parmesan cheese” (thanks to Raw Goddess Heathy) and some black pepper.

Heathy’s recipe for Parmesan Cheese:

Parmesan Cheese

½ cup Brazil nuts

½ c pine nuts
1 tsp nutritional yeast
1 small clove garlic, minced
¼- ½ tsp sea salt


Pulse brazils, yeast, garlic, and salt in FP until almost ground. Add pine nuts and grind until crumbly.


This recipe for parmesan cheese is so stinkin yummy and is great for so many things. Salads, pizza, sandwiches, etc. Hmm…I wonder if this would be good mixed in with the pesto…

Viola! Yummy pizza! It’s very filling and I don’t feel blah after. :) We had a side Caesar salad (again, thanks to Raw Heathy) topped with the parmesan cheese mixture. And this meal was so much cheaper than at a restaurant or café!

It’s been fun experimenting with some of these recipes and even better when they turn out D-LISH! Ha ha!










Comments

mmmm...i have fond memories of pizza, both cooked and raw.
yardsnacker said…
lol pixy

I can attest, these were the best!
Disa said…
Yum yum yum. I am going to have to try this out this week- along with the fettuccine!
RisibleGirl said…
Dangit- this must be a sign from you know who- this is the second blog entry I've read about pizza tonight.

mmmmmm..... pizza......

Popular posts from this blog

WEGO Health: Superpower!

Guest Blog Post