Lost, Gone Forever

To date, I have lost 35 pounds. Yippee!!! I’ve never had to lose this much weight before – it’s funny to think way back when (when I was a lot smaller than I am now) that I thought I was FAT! Sheesh.

I’m 15 pounds away from achieving my first goal, which is the weight I was at (approximate) when I first started dating my husband. At the time I was very active with volleyball, playing 3x a week (I was slim and trim and didn’t realize it! UGH!) but soon that took up too much time away from dating! :) So I stopped. Meanwhile, I was eating crappy as usual and drinking LOTS of Mountain Dew. But that was the norm among my peers, for my lifestyle, etc. I was young still. Then one day I noticed in the mirror how bloated and “fleshy” I looked, had become. I knew I had gained weight but it wasn’t until that one day I actually noticed how much (no scale required) and was horrified. I didn’t do anything about it though. I just became comfortable, complacent, lazy, whichever. Hubby and I acknowledged later on that we needed to make changes, but again, not much success. The thought was there but the action wasn’t.

Fast forward to 2007, Hubby talked often about eating better. I would suggest eating more salads but that did not appeal to him! “Too cold” or “not filling enough.” Ha ha!

It was difficult trying to find healthier meals we would both eat and be satisfied with. Too often our dinner meals would be too fatty, salty, MSG-y, sugary (some of those condiments and sauces have a lot of high fructose syrup in them) and/or heavy. Not a good thing to have before bedtime. That’s the worst for me – eating those kinds of meals too late in the day so then I’d end up going to bed with all that food sitting in my stomach. Sometimes I’d wake up feeling so bleh because of that.

You know what I hate though? Is when you eat a huge meal where you’re so full you swear you’ll never eat again and then several hours later you find yourself starving like that meal never existed! Or you wake up starving. Ai-yai-yai.

Again, we’d talk about eating healthier. Hubby was feeling more and more out of sorts and discouraged with our current diet. Soooo, he then learned about eating raw, live foods (thanks
David Wolfe). I had heard of it before, probably years prior – I think because there were celebrities who were eating raw, like it was the “new thing” but I could also be making this up.

For me, this finally meant SALADS! Hubby who was so against them before now loved them. A 180 degree turn in our diet.

We just started out slowly by incorporating a lighter, healthier dinner. We also cut out pop (no more Mountain Dew). These two changes made huge differences for us in how we looked and how we felt.

I’m sure this post is boring enough so I’ll spare you the step by step changes we made but boy have we made changes! We’re now eating some gourmet, dehydrating like crazy and making smoothies and juices left and right. Hubby has successfully transitioned to 100% raw and is not looking back. I’m about 80-100%. Depends on the day, week, my mood, etc.

Discovery of this new lifestyle has been life changing and possibly, life saving for us. The other important thing though is we are enjoying every aspect so far. I’ve eaten foods I never would have before and making things I never would have. I mean really…who knew we’d be eating raw pizzas and raw burritos and actually enjoying it?!

Along with this discovery are the many friends we’ve made in the raw community. The amazing support, encouragement, inspiration and motivation from everyone have made this journey more fun and easier. Outside the “raw world,” it can be challenging as not everyone understands but for me, most have been supportive, namely my family so I appreciate their love and support as well.

After I reach my goal (I’m not setting any dates or expectations to lose weight by – don’t believe in it as I think it puts too much pressure on), I will make my next goal, which I’ll keep to myself for now. I have 3 separate goals in mind but again, there’s no rush and each goal will depend on the previous goal and current situation. Bottom line is I want to be healthy and happy no matter what.

Comments

Charis said…
How exciting! I'm so happy for you, truly! You must feel so liberated. Go Heidi!!! (or shall I keep calling you Rosie? ;0)
0459803485-034 said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
yardsnacker said…
Very cool perspective. You continue to amaze me. ;D
HiHoRosie said…
Whoa! You are one quick cookie my dear! I just posted this. :) And feel free to call me Rosie if you like - I like it.
HiHoRosie said…
That comment was for Charissa.

And Yardsnacker? Thanks for your support!
Isle Dance said…
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!! I love hearing about your raw food adventure. It's so inspiring and encouraging and fun. Keep up the great blog, please, because I love reading it!!!!!!! LOL.
Candice Davis said…
That's awesome progress and a great attitude! So many people I know seem to reach that place of complacency and get stuck there, not believing they have the power to change. I'm glad it's working well for the two of you.
Michelle said…
Hi Heidi, see this is what i need to keep reading and reinforcing into my mind!! RAW = GOOD...I feel kinda stupid now that i look back on my blog post complaining like a little girl about some gas! :O)..ah well you live and learn!! So, great post, congrats on losing the weight! Awesome!!!
Michelle
Great changes for you! Thanks for the comment on my blog. I would love some celebratory raw pizza! Luckily, my nephew in Hawaii will be coming for a visit right after my feast ends. He is an excellent raw chef, so I'm hoping he will feel like making food while he's here :) He makes killer pizza!
HiHoRosie said…
Lisa, that is so stinkin awesome! How perfect for you and perfect timing for your nephew to visit after your JF. Gotta love raw pizza. Holey moley! Thanks for visiting me today. :)
RisibleGirl said…
Look at you! You're getting more prolific than me! I'm glad that you're blogging now. You'll be really excited to read back to see what you were thinking about down the road.

I'm four years out blogging now and I can't believe that I'm still doing it.

Your topics are much more uplifting though!

Love
sis

PS- I can't wait to see you. You were teeny last time I saw you. I can't imagine what you look like now!
melindapollard said…
Congrats on your weight loss and successful Raw journey!:)
HiHoRosie said…
Thanks Sis and Melinda! Yours and everyone's support means a lot and is motivating. I love seeing the scale numbers decrease. :)

Popular posts from this blog

WEGO Health: Superpower!

Guest Blog Post