A Night of Firsts

Over the weekend my lovely friend Ceci (pronounced cess-see) came over for dinner and a movie - her first raw meal and my first raw meal for anyone. She’s been expressing interest in the raw food lifestyle (she picked up a couple of books even) and so was interested in a raw vegan meal experience – Heidi-style. Ha ha!

I'd post a picture of us but it's not a flattering one of me (call me vain!). Ceci looks cute but I look like I was trying to eat my chin.

I have to admit I was a bit nervous for this evening. Not too nervous because Ceci, I knew, was game for this new adventure. No hesitation whatsoever from her – she’s just like that, open to anything, which I love about her. So even though I knew I had nothing to fear I still did because I hadn’t made anyone a raw anything before. Sure you could count the occasional salad or dip someone’s sampled before but I had committed to making a complete meal for a non-raw friend. Could I pull it off?

After learning she loves Mexican food almost as much as I do hubby suggested Mexican Pizzas, a personal fave of ours. We wanted kept it casual and simple (and have something tried and true)…but when it comes to raw food and wanting to impress ‘simple’ can be a little tricky at times however it was still casual and fun from start to finish.

Our pizzas had all the fixin’s to top the crusts: beanz, nacho cheeze, romaine lettuce, tomatoes, green onions and/or sweet yellow onions, salsa and GUACAMOLE (yum). I forgot to make sour kream but it wasn’t missed.


About those pizza crusts. I love 'em! They are a great base for any type of pizza you want. Not something I'd eat by itself but as a base to a great pizza? Oh yeah!

Raw organic corn chips were served on the side (side note: I added various spices to this recipe to make it more interesting. It's a good base to experiment with). Personally I love snacking on those dipped in guac. Well anything with avocado/guac is automatically a fave of mine. :)

Sorry there aren’t more pictures but I forget in moments like these. Conversation must’ve been good. ha ha! And sorry this seems like a repeat of an earlier post because I'm talking about the same food. Oh well.

For dessert I looked for something quick, simple and one I already had the ingredients for so we had chocolate pudding from the Daily Raw CafĂ©, which we enjoyed during our movie (we all recommend seeing “Dan In Real Life” with Steve Carell). This was some seriously good pudding. We didn’t tell Ceci at first what it was made of when she began eating but she could taste a “fruit aftertaste.” I hope that’s a good thing. She was floored to hear she was eating chocolate pudding that was made with avocado. My only tip when making pudding this way is making sure your avocado is good and ripe. We made this once in the past with an avo that was picked out of season so the flavor was twangy and off but a perfectly ripe avo no one will ever know that’s the secret ingredient.

I believe all in all she liked it. I know hubby and I did!! I guess the sign for me that she liked it was she ate every last bite on her plate or bowl. It was a good experience for me and hope to do it again. Maybe building up my repertoire a bit more. Yeah!

So there you have it. My recap of my first raw meal for a guest. As I gain more experience and confidence in the kitchen I hope to be like some of you who just whip things up with ease and your guests are amazed. One day folks….one day.

Comments

Charis said…
Sounds like it went smashingly well! I bet she adored it...I wish I could come over and try your pudding. :0)
RisibleGirl said…
Ummm, that monkey at the end? Made me laugh!

Your lil' pizza looks yummy. I'm just so impressed with all the time it must take to prepare all this stuff.
Isle Dance said…
CONGRATULATIONS! DE! LI! CIOUS!
Leora said…
Mmmm. That looks delicious.

Years ago, when my cousin was on a macrobiotic diet, she invited interested friends over for a meal. I think they politely tried it, then never asked again.

yeah, cute monkey.
C.Unique said…
Hello, sweet girl - and after that choco pudding you made me that bares a new, raw meaning. ;)
I LOVED the meal. I really did. I aspire to make meals the one I tasted on Saturday. It was the perfect end to a "school day". And the conversation was BRILLIANT. You & hubby are gems. I will be stalking you later for more food & hang time.
By the way, as a newbie to this life-enhancing nutrition, I have been reading The Raw Food Detox Diet by N.Rose & can't say enough good things about it.
Thanks too for your suggestions & support.
Cess
Carrie Nicole said…
Congrats chica! Sounds like it went really well and I'm definitely now deciding that I need to get a dehydrator. I've been debating but I think it would really allow me to get even more creative!

I am inviting all my girlfriends over in a few weeks for a pre-summer girl's night in. I'm the only raw and the only vegan in the bunch but I'm really excited to make a few things to add to their omni plates.
yardsnacker said…
I swear you and Cess are long lost sisters from another dimension. And finally someone I could talk about Fibonacci sequences about lol! It was a fun night for sure. Loved that movie too. :D
Anonymous said…
The pizza looks delish. I loved Dan in Real Life!
Hugs ~
Alexandra
Michelle said…
Hi Heidi,
Terrific sounding dinner you made! As you know, i too made my first really raw dinner for actual people to eat! Went great i thought except for my jalepeno mishap! You saw my pics right? I hope to do it again someday soon!
M
Anonymous said…
Fun and exciting-it feels great to share raw. I want to eat your pizza-hmmmm pizza. Looks great, beautiful red tomatoes.
Sarah said…
I'm glad you had a successful and pleasant hosting experience! I haven't had anyone over for dinner in a long time 'cos I'm too lazy to make anything resembling a meal...what I've done is to invite people over for dessert and games, AFTER dinner. :) That works well sometimes too and is less pressure! Dessert = fruit. :)

Your meal looked beautiful!
Anonymous said…
Sounds delicious! I get the nerves thing. I've had 2 people over for raw meals and let me assure you they were very carefully chosen :-)

PS Where can I get that recipe for corn chips?
Colleen Miller said…
That's so cool you made a raw meal for a friend! I love do challenge myself like that to try and win someone over. The pizza looks delicious!!!

Popular posts from this blog

WEGO Health: Superpower!

Guest Blog Post