DIY: Carpet Cleaner

The quality, not the longevity, of one's life is what is important.
~Martin Luther King, Jr.

Happy Monday and MLK day! It's a snow day for me today. Well, sorta. I'm working from home. My bus doesn't run today because of the holiday and then we had a big snow storm (for here) blow thru that my commute would be particularly long that I decided to just stay home.

We went from this one night:


To this the next:



The weathermen were right for once! It's so beautiful. Cold but beautiful. And it's better when you don't have to drive in it. We're just not equipped around here for such snowy-ness. But, it's been fun taking YS2 out to play. Everytime I try to make a snowman though, he kicks the snow. Sorry Frosty!

So I'm back again with another DIY for you, the main reason for today's post. It's fun doing homemade stuff, I think. Glad a lot of you liked the makeup brush cleaner. Many of these DIY projects are so simple and cost so little and are definitely a whole lot better than many store-bought products. I like it when I have most of the ingredients in my cupboards already.

The carpet cleaner might be one that many of you have tried before but it's a first for me. Ingredients: warm water, dishwashing soap, and white vinegar [source].

There's a preceding step of using baking soda on the soiled area to absorb the moisture and/or odor, then vacuuming it up but for the spots I used it on, I stuck with the vinegar mixture. I didn't need to use the baking soda step but it's good to know.

Anyway, I picked a few unsightly spots to test on.


I took an old rag and worked the magic solution. What's nice about this is I don't have to let it sit for X amount of minutes like many carpet cleaners. And it's non-toxic and not fumey or smelly!

For the most part, I didn't have to scrub too hard or too long. The spots quickly disappeared. For the tougher stains, a little more effort was needed but still got it all out.

Looks better, eh?

Please forgive the cell phone pic...looks yellowy in the middle but it really isn't. It's just the pic.

I'm working on an area that got some soot spilled on it (not pictured). It's working but I think it will take another try or two (or maybe I should try letting it set for a bit).

So there you have it. Non-toxic carpet cleaner. Now, I can get rid of all the old bottles I have.

While I was in the mood for some DIY, I made some Cinnamon Roll Lip Gloss a la Rawdorable. I want to make her beet gloss/stain but I want a lipgloss roller like hers. Anyway, for the Cinnamon Roll gloss, I used some leftover sample Artisana jars. I made one for home and will make another for work.


Hope you have a good day!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WEGO Health: Superpower!

Guest Blog Post