Whoa-oa-oa! I feel good, I knew that I would…

Recently I was reading a post by Raw Girl too! about good clean living. She had mentioned having a cold and not getting enough sleep the night before. She went on write how she didn’t display the normal signs one gets from being sick and/or sleep deprived (i.e. bags/dark circles under the eyes). Could this be the result of her “good clean living?”

Her post reminded me of a similar experience I had a few weeks ago. I was a bit proud of the fact that I hadn’t gotten sick while so many people around me had been (and with some serious illnesses mind you). I don’t mean that to sound as bad as it might seem – I just meant I was really happy I hadn’t gotten sick because normally I would have. I work in a large downtown office building and use public transportation so you can see how easy it would be to pick up cooties from anywhere, from anyone!

But then, the cough started…then the sore throat…then the sleepies…ah, I realized I was starting to get sick. Bleh! Normally, when I get a cold I’m miserable. Very congested, irritable, sleepy yet can’t sleep, take every drug I can get my paws on, etc. And it usually takes a good solid week before I start to feel better and then after two weeks I’m back to normal.

Something different happened this time around. I was tired, yes. But I could actually sleep. I had one night early on that I woke up a few times to cough (so I stayed home from work the next day) but otherwise, I didn’t have a problem sleeping. And this is with NO DRUGS! I think I would’ve taken some
Zicam if I had some on hand but I didn’t. So I suffered in silence – ha ha. The sore throat didn’t amount to anything; it was only an initial symptom. I had the dry, scratchy throat but it didn’t hurt. I was congested and sluggish but I didn’t feel really bad like I normally do. I could still function, go to work (sorry people I may have shared my cooties with!), do all my normal activities and then go to bed early. My hubby was sweet and would make me tea and juices – the only “medicine” I had. After about five days I was 95%+ better. Again, ZERO DRUGS.

I truly believe that
good clean living, eating and drinking lots of FRESH fruits and veggies (before and during), and being on this raw food journey has helped me to heal quicker and naturally. My SIL even commented how I’m normally wiped out from a cold for a couple weeks and here I was all better after a week or less. I really couldn’t complain much.

I’m curious how my allergies will be this year….have to wait until summer to know.

Comments

Kathy said…
Hey Rosie, Love the Post!!!! Thanks for the shout out!

Funny thing about allergies,I was thinking the same thing... although, I am more worried that maybe I will be more sensitive to all the "pollen" in the air.

Can't wait to hear how yours are going to do... I'm getting the sniffles and sneezes already!!!
Amy said…
I really think it's true! I have been so sick all winter, and have asthma but no allergies. I have been on antibiotics like crazy this season, because every cold morphed into an upper respiratory and sinus infection. I started sniffling last Sunday, and although my nose is still a bit runny, I'm not nearly as sick as I have been. It's more of a little nuisance than a cold, really. I'm a teacher and we have had every bug known to man around this spring. I'm ready for 70 degrees and open windows.
Isle Dance said…
LOL. I totally agree. I noticed a huge improvement twenty years ago when I starting going organic and hence, preservative-free. I can only imagine raw live vegan ups it all the more. You go, girl! :o)
RisibleGirl said…
I'm positive that good clean living surely has a great affect on your health. It will be interesting to see if it makes allergies better. I hope it does- because you get down-right miserable.

BTW, did you have any tummy problems on Thursday night? I sure did and was thinking it might have been from lunch. If that were the case, you'd have been sick too, since we ate the same thing.
Michelle said…
Hi, excellent post! I have not been sick all winter! Not even a sniffle...so yes for sure clean living, eating raw it definitely has something to do with our catching colds or allergies!! Let's hope its a thing of the past for us all!!! :O()
Michelle
MARYYX said…
Hi Rosie
Thanks for stopping by my blog. I get SO excited when I get a post from someone new!

Recently we were at our son's home, and I was talking about the juice feast with a friend of his. David said that he has always resorted to juicing when he gets sick, rather than going to the doctor - and that it has always gotten him well.

As to myself, since my raw foods experiment began about six months ago I have not been sick once. While my son was living with us, I was probably only about 75% raw (for 3 of those months) - but I still got through the season without being sick. Everyone else in the house was sick at least once.

Back to good old Hippocrates: let food be thy medicine.
maryyx
Anonymous said…
HOLLA! I had almost this same thing happen to me! I did take the Zicam though:) I have only been sick 2 times since being a raw girl. Everyone in my family got the dreaded gombou and I was the only one who didn't get sick, they were all out of commission for two weeks at a time. Take those sick days and go play golf! One of the many benefits of clean living:O)

Popular posts from this blog

WEGO Health: Superpower!

Guest Blog Post