Something Borrowed - Part I

We’ve been busy visiting our local library lately. It’s a good way to test out those many raw (un)cookbooks before buying them. Of course, it’s also a good way to support the libraries and the authors.

Since checking out some of these books (I have many more on my list!) I have determined
Ani's Raw Food Kitchen and Raw Food Real World are must-haves for me. My birthday is NOT coming up so if you’d like to get me a present… Ha ha! But seriously folks, I think those two cookbooks are great to have. Ani’s book is one that could be used daily as the recipes are pretty simple and casual. The RFRW one is more gourmet (by my standards) and one I wouldn’t use daily but just would love to have on hand. I still want to try the Spicy Peanut Coconut Noodles with Ginger and Lime recipe from that book but what in the world is galangal?! And where do I get it? And if it tastes like ginger can’t I just use more regular ginger the recipe calls for? Anyway, tangent….

The other books I’ve checked out but yet to peruse through are
Living Cuisine and Rainbow Green Live-Food Cuisine. I know they’re good ones, don’t worry! The last book I have is the I Am Grateful book. This is another must-have I think. There are so many recipes in here I want to try.

On Sunday, I made “I Am Relishing pizza crust/buckwheat crackers” (btw, I love all the names of the recipes in this book). As I was making them I wasn’t really sure how they were going to be. I kinda made an oopsie while making this. It asks for veggie pulp – mine had some celery, which means lots o’strings! Next time I’ll be more careful with that. I picked out the obvious bunches of strings. In the end though, I’m not sure it mattered as we’ve been eating these like crazy because they’re so good and neither of us have noticed any celery strings. Whew! So yeah, try these if you can. I made the full recipe not realizing how much batter it makes that I had to do it in batches since my food processor is of normal size, not commercial size, which must be what this recipe is based on.


(the first five trays are the crackers, the last two are corn chips - yum! I'm too lazy to make them chip shapes.)

Hubby could not stop eating these! Seriously. They’re very satisfying I must say and not heavy. I had made them with the intention of using them as crusts, hence the design seen below, but we’ve been eating them as crackers. They seem to have the texture as a Ritz cracker – actually, they remind me of Chicken in a Biskit crackers. Savory, slightly soft with a nice snap. Make sense? Yeah, okay. Moving right along…

The library has become a handy resource for us being fairly new to raw vegan foods because there’s so much to learn and not just recipes either. All of these cookbooks are chock-full (?) of valuable information, tid-bits and helpful hints about the raw lifestyle. I like educational cookbooks!

Well, I think this has been an officially long post! I guess I’m making up for lost time. The next chapter of “Something Borrowed” to follow soon. Ooh! Can't wait huh?

Comments

Isle Dance said…
Ooooo...fantastic! I can't wait! :o) (I'm learning so much by reading your posts!)
Candice Davis said…
I love Ani's book. RFRW is $37.50 though, so I just thumb through at the store once a month or so. I mean, can a sister get a paperback version! LOL!
yardsnacker said…
You are nice and your hair smells pretty.
Kathy said…
I love Ani's cookbook - it has become a staple at my house, my daughter even brought it to church to read last weekend! When I saw it I was floored! Told her your not suppose to bring a book to church to read! :0) (her excuse was the typical "church is boring")

Wonder if Ani knows she's been read in church!!! LOL!
Michelle said…
Yes, you are nice! I am quite sure your hair smells pretty too!! :O)

Seriously, great pics as usual and thanks for the book recommendations!
Everything looks yummy!

Please blog more! I missed your interesting posts for over a week! See, i do check everyday!

Michelle
Colleen Miller said…
What a great idea - go to the library. I go there all the time for kids books, I never thought to get mommy books. I LOVE the buckwheat pizza crust. We made that a few weeks ago and I've been begging the hubby to make more (That's his job - bread/cracker duty)
I didn't use it for pizza either I just used it for sandwiches. It just had the perfect consistency.
Hmmmm....what else can you borrow? Can't wait to find out!
RisibleGirl said…
The thing that I've always admired about you is that you like to try new recipes and it doesn't matter if it takes a while to prepare. I've always been such a lazy cook and look for the quickest way to make something.

Sometimes that's rather disastrous. If you look in my freezer sometime, you'll see a vacuum sealed bag called chicken and rice gruel. It was an experiment gone bad because I don't do recipes. It's been there for a year- maybe it's time to toss it?
HiHoRosie said…
I think the reason I follow recipes is b/c I don't trust myself to whip up something on my own - it usually comes out disastrous! Then there are times when I make something that seems to be lacking something and hubby will step in and fix it and it comes out d-lish. I like to cook but when it's something new I have to follow a recipe (and I measure!) and don't usually get adventurous by making something up on the fly. Well, Sis, maybe it is time to throw out the chicken and rice gruel. LOL. Or save it for company that you don't like. :)
Keely said…
Galangal, according to your link does NOT taste like ginger, so adding more ginger would not get you the desired flavor. Have you tried looking in an Asian Market? They're everywhere, and you can get great deals on other things like saffron!
HiHoRosie said…
Ha ha! You're right Keely - I didn't read that info quite right! Where it says it tastes little like ginger I read as it tastes A little like ginger. Whoops! Amazing how one word can change everything. I will have to check out the Asian market to see if they have this. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction Keely. :)

Popular posts from this blog

WEGO Health: Superpower!

Guest Blog Post