Luck O’ the Irish

So I’ve been curious about Irish moss for sometime now but have yet to use it let alone eat it. I plan on using it for raw desserts whenever I get the chance and motivation. Baby steps folks. Hee hee! I should clarify: I have the motivation but it’s usually the lack the time and/or the necessary ingredients.

Anyway…I’ve been spotting it at my local raw vegan store but just never got brave enough to buy it. Well, Sam was placing an order through Mountain Rose Herbs (they’re awesome btw) so I asked him to order some Irish moss while he was at it.


Hmm…this looks different than what I was seeing at the vegan store. Does this look right to you Irish moss users? I’m used it being lighter in color and in more whole pieces (kind of like this). Can I still soak this? I purposely haven’t opened the package in case I need to return it.

Anyway, there’s also a powder which I thought was interesting. According the profile, it’s mainly used for medicinal purposes.

For those not familiar with Irish moss it’s seaweed that’s been dried and when soaked (after it’s been rinsed very well) it provides an odorless and tasteless jelly that can be used in ice creams, desserts, or other dishes where a firm texture or binder is needed.

It’s also sometimes found in skin and hair products. Kelli mentioned to me that she sometimes uses it for homemade facials. I will have to try that.

The moss itself contains almost 10% in protein but is also rich in iodine, sulphur, calcium, selenium, zinc and vitamins A, B, C, and D, just to name a few bennies. Other bonuses include: strengthens connective tissue, helps prevent cholesterol buildup, moisturizes, and helps with eczema, psoriasis, sunburns, and rashes, even effective against varicose veins.

Pretty amazing stuff.

Update: to make myself feel better, I am returning this particular Irish moss and getting a different kind. This just doesn’t seem right to me even though the label tells me it is.

Now, from what I understand on how to use it (thanks Kelli for enlightening me) is you rinse it very very well. Be sure it’s rid of any sand particles and impurities. Then soak it overnight (1/4 c packed Irish moss with 1 c water). After that it’s ready to use.

If you want to learn more about Irish moss here are a few good reads I found: Natural News, Best Superfoods and Bitt's blog.

Of course, I’m open to any tips, uses, and other educational info anyone has about it. It’s a fascinating little thing.

Gojis


From my last garden update (btw, glad you like those baby piggies – I like them too!), some people wondered about growing goji plants in their areas so I checked it out a bit and here’s what I found out: they’re very adaptable, they like lots of sun (prefer hot and dry climates however, they’ll be fine in humid climates too and obviously they’re fine in more mild climates), can be grown indoors, typically begin bearing fruit in third year and once it does start producing fruit berries, harvesting can go for 15 years or more!

So if you can, start growing some gojis. :)

Now, I say it’s time for another HiHoRosie Blog Fave don’t you? Hmmm…who will it be??? So many to choose from!

I award the HHR Blog Fave award to Leslie aka La Mama Naturale of Recycle Your Day blog!

I am a huge fan of hers. She blogs about all kinds of useful and fun topics from eco-friendly tips, to make-it-yourself holistic remedies, to recipes, gardening (including CSA), her rooster Louie, her eco-kiddies (Eco-Tot, her oldest, was born on Earth Day!), and more.

Love her blog, love her and she’s definitely worthy of any award including my humble blog fave award.

Have a good week everyone!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WEGO Health: Superpower!

Guest Blog Post