Kelp Noodles

I'm eating my kelp noodle salad as I type this. :)

What I'm eating was inspired by an Asian-infused salad I thoroughly enjoy found at my local natural market made with organic angel hair pasta. Of course, I quickly adopted my own version at home but had been thinking how I could make a more raw version. Or as Rawdorable says: rawify it. It's not completely raw as I use toasted sesame oil but close enough for me. BTW, if you haven't picked up a copy of Rawdorable's raw cupcake e-book, I highly recommend you do!

I was trying to find some info on kelp noodles themselves - you know, health benefits. I haven't found much other than they're low in fat and calories and high in mineral content, particularly iodine.

Even though I had sampled kelp noodles before I don't remember much about them. Many raw blogs as of late had been talking about their use of the seaweed so it got me thinking about my salad. Kelp noodles would serve as the perfect replacement for the angel hair pasta.

I will admit that the noodles are a wee bit funky. I don't mind the texture really. In this salad, their crunch actually fits perfectly. There is a twang or particular flavor that stands out from time to time for me but I believe I've moved past it. :) I think it just needed some time to sit and absorb all the flavors. I would eat these again trying other variations. Secret's in the sauce right?

Now for the recipe.

HiHoRosie's Asian Kelp Noodle Salad
One 12 oz bag kelp noodles, rinsed and drained well
One red bell pepper, diced
3 spring onions, chopped
2 TBS toasted sesame oil
3 TBS Nama Shoyu or Tamari
cayenne pepper to taste
sprinkling of black sesame seeds and/or white sesame seeds
Mix all together and serve.


Of course, I'm of the mindset that one can tailor this to suit their needs or tastes so you might find you like less or more of something. You could also add in cilantro, carrot or cabbage/bok choy.

Enjoy!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WEGO Health: Superpower!

Guest Blog Post