DIY: Tub Scrub

I’ve really been enjoying getting into greener ways of keeping my house clean. It might take a few minutes to whip things together (if that long) but these are non-toxic and just as effective, or more, than the stuff you buy. Plus, they’re way cheaper.

My advice for most household cleaning DIYs? Buy a big thing of baking soda and a big thing of white vinegar (hello Costco!) and you’re pretty much set to make anything.

Today’s DIY is tub scrub from good ol’ Martha.

Tub Scrub by Martha Stewart
  • 1 cup baking soda
  • Several drops anti-bacterial essential oil (I used peppermint – she also suggests tea tree, rosemary or eucalyptus)
  • 1 tsp liquid soap
  • And enough water to form a paste
Just mix this together and plop in the tub and start scrubbin’!

It works. It really does. I was skeptical at first but thought, why not try it? Oh the relief! I’ve used the toxic stuff in the past, because, well, that’s what I grew up using but it’s made me sick (literally). And with bathrooms being not very well ventilated to begin with it’s horrible being stuck in a small space with toxic fumes enveloping you. And then I think about those toxic fumes getting to everyone else, especially YS2.

I will admit that for the more troublesome spots, a little more “elbow-grease” is required but not much. And when considering your health and the environment (and pocketbook) it’s a minor detail.

So, now I’ve got a non-toxic solution to a clean bathroom without poisoning everything and everyone. Oh, and it’s good in the sink too.

Happy scrubbing!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WEGO Health: Superpower!

Guest Blog Post