Last Day

Happy Wednesday kiddies!

It's the last day of the month of August 2011. Wow. Where's the year going?! Sheesh. Seems like it just began and now it's nearly Labor Day, the unofficial last day of summer. Bummer. However, summer around here is not going without a fight I'm happy to report - it's my favorite season after all (autumn is a close second).

Speaking of last day though, today is the last day to enter my giveaway for a jar of Tropical Traditions Skin Exfoliator. If you haven't entered, do it! If you want bonus entries, get them in! Ends at midnight.

And speaking of giveaways, I'm thinking of doing a very special one that involves something homemade. Yeah, feeling crafty and want to share my craftiness. You game? I've got a couple of ideas in mind of what I'd like to do - anyway, it's a thought in process.

Now speaking of homemade, I recently made some fruit rolls, as YS2 likes to call them. They're basically fruit roll ups or fruit leather. Remember those? As a kid, I remember how badly I wanted them as all my friends had them. My mom wasn't into buying those sorts of things. Little did I know at the time how better off I was without them. Thanks Mom! So anyway, how about a healthy and yummier version made with real ingredients? Not just for kids either.

no petunas were harmed in the making of these fruit rolls

You can make these with whatever fruit combo suits your fancy or whatever is in season. Fresh is always best but frozen can be substituted, just thaw first.

Mango Fruit Rolls (raw/vegan)
2 ripe bananas
1 large mango
1 cup strawberries

Blueberry Fruit Rolls (raw/vegan)
2 pears, peeled
1 pint or 2 cups blueberries

Blend all ingredients until smooth, making sure there are no chunks. If you have a dehydrator, pour onto the teflex sheet (probably will need two) and spread thin but not see-through leaving the edges a little thicker.

Dry at 110 degrees for about 8-10 hours or until no longer tacky. Peel from teflex sheet and flip onto mesh screen for additional drying time till no longer sticky but still pliable.

Cut into strips (or shapes if feeling extra creative) and roll. Store in an air-tight container or wrap individually. Not sure how long they keep but I would think for at least several days or longer if individually wrapped.

I haven't experimented making these by using the oven. No doubt it's possible - just keep the temperature at the lowest setting and maybe keeping the door open a bit, too.

YS2's fave are the mango ones but he won't turn down the blueberry ones either. :)

Anyway, enjoy this last day of the month on the last day of my giveaway (go enter! you really should) and enjoy a fruit roll if you can.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WEGO Health: Superpower!

Guest Blog Post