Hey Buds!

Now that I've been mostly raw for seven months I've noticed that my taste buds have changed quite a bit. I realize that as one gets older (or should I say, "matures") tastes naturally change. Some foods you disliked as a kid you love as an adult or vice versa. But when you start eating more raw foods, in their natural state, you notice big differences. For instance, coconuts. Or as I like to call them, coocoonuts. I have always loved coocoonuts; the artificial flavorings and/or the shredded flakes you can buy in packages at the store. I remember quite fondly opening up those packages of sweetened shredded coconut and just eating pinch after pinch of the stuff. Before my raw journey last summer, I remember on several occasions throughout my life when I sampled some fresh coconut, always the brown ones. It was so challenging and messy getting those things to open! The coconut was usually flying off in another direction (watch out!). But once the coocoonut was defeated I was disappointed with the taste. In my mind it should taste like the sweetened coconut in the package. And keep that water from inside away from me! Eww! It was just plain gross. Now?????? It's a completely different story. I LOVE COCONUTS! I never had a young coconut until last year. With the young ones, I absolutely love the meat (hmmm....that's a poorly written sentence). But you know what I mean!!!! Get your minds out of the gutter. But seriously folks, a young coconut is so tasty. The meat tastes "toasty" to me and the water is delicious. They are so scrumptious in a smoothie too. Yesterday, we got a couple of the brown coconuts. Not as much water in them but I actually loved it too. And the drier meat is so yummy. What my hubby ended up doing is puree the pulp, add vanilla beans and agave and then freeze it so he just breaks off chunks to throw into a smoothie. This way you get the pulp, which is filling and very healthy.

Another thing I've noticed with my buds is with walnuts and pecans. Normally, you wouldn't catch me within two feet of those things. Now? Well, let's just say I can eat them in certain things. You still won't catch me eating them by the handfuls by themselves or topping my salad with them but I have had them in desserts and in entrees and I liked it. Before last summer, that would never have happened!

Those are just a few of the obvious changes I've noticed with my tastes. It's very interesting to me. I tend be more willing to try things now because I just never know.

Now on a completely different subject, nothing to do with raw foods....WTH was with the ladies on American Idol last night?! Holy moley! With the exception of a couple of them, the majority picked horrible songs to sing from the 70's. Some didn't even have to start singing before I started groaning - I just knew from the start of the song it was going to be bad. And the rocker chick with the two tone hair? I used to like her but now she just scares me. I feel bad but I think she's next to go. I know these lovely ladies can sing but SONG CHOICES SONG CHOICES SONG CHOICES. It's so important. End of rant.

Oh, and David Archuleta is going to win. No doubt about it. End of AI opinion...for now. :)

Comments

yardsnacker said…
I agree on David, but you know, why did they kick off my girl! I loved Alexandrea Lushington's voice!

:(

WAATEVER.

Great post! Love hearing your words.
RisibleGirl said…
I agree sis, the girls just suck this year. I say, just kick all of them off and keep the guys. I agreed with all of the guys leaving. The guy with the kid? He was WAY too cheesy for me. WAY too cheesy (even though I like cheese).

And if I went raw (which I couldn't because of the alteration in my body) I can promise you this- my tastebuds would never change to the point where I like nuts in my chocolate. (not that this is raw, but you get my point.) tee hee.

xoxo
HiHoRosie said…
I will say I was surprised over Alexandrea leaving this week but everyone else, good call. And Sis? I agree that one guy with the kid, he is CHEESY! And his eye teeth BUGGED me! Like they were shaved into points like fangs. He should work at Disneyland. Even without David, the guys have the edge over the girls and it will be a guy who wins this year. And of course the obvious winner to me is David.
yep. david a. is gonna win. toss out the chicks.
pixywinks

Popular posts from this blog

WEGO Health: Superpower!

Guest Blog Post